Friday, November 12, 2010

Hey! Try Thinking Before You Speak..or Act..

In Hannah's article titled "Hey! Try Thinking Before You Speak.. or Act..", I think she makes some great points on both sexual harassment and bullying. In my commentary, Department of Education Stands Up to Bullies, I make very similar statements regarding sexual harassment (especially towards the gay and lesbian population) and its negative effects, and also explain how the Department of Education plans to combat these issues. After reading in her commentary about how a SCHOOL BOARD member has now resigned after making anti-gay remarks via his Facebook page shortly after the suicides of several gay/lesbian youths , I am now more supportive than ever of the Department of Education stepping in and threatening schools with the loss of federal aids if stricter bullying policies are not put into place. Bullying and harassment is bad enough among students, but now we have school employees making remarks about another person's sexual orientation as well? What kind of example are they setting for students if they themselves are participating in bullying? High school can be an extremely difficult time in a teen's life, and while the older and more mature gay and lesbian crowd may be able to take the insults and still hold their head up high, these same insults aimed towards a young, emotionally unstable, and confused teen could be devastating...


She also mentions that we should refrain from "racial, homosexual, politics, and religious comments..." on the internet, but I would have to slightly disagree. I agree with her reasoning behind it but I also support the freedom of speech, and part of the concept of free speech is the ability to say or express things that might be controversial or even offend others. Someone who dislikes gays has just as much right to express it as someone who hates heterosexuals... The discussion of religion, politics, sexuality, and racism in an almost unrestricted manner is what makes this country what it is (for better or worse, you decide). In some countries merely mentioning homosexuality or speaking ill of their government is a punishable offense. But I do think there is a time and a place for everything, just as she says, "So save the racial, homosexual, politics, and religious comments for that drunken dinner table talk (although that could potentially get just as ugly)." 

So while I don't think there should be any restrictions on a site such as Facebook, I don't personally think it's appropriate to spew your hatred there either. I think people should have better judgment and know the when and where when it comes to expressing strong opinions such as racism and homosexuality. So while I don't believe censorship to be the answer on the internet or in public places where you may choose to be, someplace such as a public school where you are forced to go five days a week, censorship should most definitely be applied in certain cases. But the concept of "thinking before you speak" should probably be applied everywhere, so I agree with that part and I wish more would do it.

1 comment:

  1. I feel as though I can easily relate to Chris' article "Department of Education Stands Up to Bullies", because my original commentary was similar. I spoke about Clint McCance, former Little Rock, Arkansas school board member, who recently resigned after posting anti-gay remarks on his personal Facebook page. I'm curious if his reference to the five suicidal teenagers is the same situation. Regarless, bullying in school really is a serious issue that should not be taken lightly. It is such a relief to know that it is finally being recognized as a PROBLEM and not being "swept under the rug", as he said.


    Here are some statistics I found:

    * 23 per cent of elementary students reported being bullied one to three times in the last month.
    * Half of all bullying incidents go unreported.
    * 100,000 students carry a gun to school.

    * 77% of the students said they had been bullied. And 14% of those who were bullied said they experienced severe (bad) reactions to the abuse.

    These numbers and facts are truly troubling. I was never a direct victim of bullying nor did I bully anyone, yet I did see how harsh some students could be to others. I agree with Chris and believe that DoE is doing a positive thing by attempting to minimize bullying throughout the school system, I just hope their efforts are effective.

    ReplyDelete